Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Street Signs

Recently, before picking Liam up from our sitter, I was in a neighborhood I had never been in when I noticed a new street sign I had never seen before.  It read "Deaf Child Area". It instantly brought me to a quick halt and then forced me to slowly ease through the area checking the nearby yards for any children at play. I left the neighborhood thinking, “they should have these type signs for blind children’s play areas too.” I called my husband and told him all about it and asked how he thought it was installed there. Did the family pay for it to be put up? Did the city? It made me start to think; a lot of families in our situation even reading our blog may need one of these signs. Even though Liam is legally blind, we do not yet know if he will need one of these signs as we are convinced he can see more than the doctors or we even think with his glasses on, but in case in the future he or our other children ever need one, I wanted to know how and where to find them and I wanted to share that information with other moms searching Google for how to raise a blind or visually impaired child. So I decided to investigate and call our city hall to find out what one would do if they needed a sign like these in their area. Here is what I found…..

After a call to the Greenbrier City Hall, the nice receptionist put me in contact with their Street Superintendent and told me it is called a “specialty sign” and that he should have a catalogue for ordering signs like this. The Street Superintendent informed me that he had not ever had to place one of these signs in the area but that he would look into it and see what he could find for us. We informed him it was just for research because we do not yet feel Liam will need one of these signs as much as some children do, but the SS informed me that if Liam’s sight is worse than legally blind it would be best to have one in the area or at least a “Slow Children at Play” sign in the area to warn traffic. I guess you never can be too careful.
Apparently, there are several different types of signs for this, all with different wording on them, but if you find yourself in need of a blind or deaf sign (as well as several other disabilities) don’t hesitate to call your City Hall and request one from your Street Superintendent. After all, protecting your child when he or she cannot protect themselves is the parent’s job. If that means having a sign put up that brings traffic to a screeching halt, warning them to be on the look out for children at play that will not see or hear them coming, I say go for it!

(*Note: “Slow children at play” signs are good to have around if you cannot get a blind or deaf sign but they do not also tell the drivers not to assume that the child will move when they see or hear them coming so a specialized sign is definitely best.)

No comments:

Post a Comment